Friday, April 6, 2012

Creative Writing Prompts #14

The most memorable house move that I had to go through was the only one in my lifetime.  At the time it was probably the most difficult thing I have ever had to do.  I lived in that house with my father, mother, and sister in the small town of Manville, New Jersey.  I lived there from the time I was born in the year 1986 until the year 2005 when we moved to Factoryville.  Both of my parents are originally from Archbald, Pennsylvania and when they both retired, they decided to move back here.  Unfortunately I was only 19 at the time, and was not financially set so I had to move along with them.

The hardest part of the move was the change.  For 19 years I lived in the same house, had the same neighbors, and hung out with the same friends that I grew up, and went to school with since kindergarten.  I kept telling myself that the move would not be too bad, because my entire family is from the Archbald area so it is not like I would not know anyone at all.  When we finally did complete the move to Pennsylvania, I found myself driving the two hour trip back to New Jersey almost every weekend to be with my friends who lived out there.  Eventually I started applying for jobs in the area and eventually gained employment at Wegman's in Dickson City.  While working there I became friends with a lot of my co-workers and began meeting more and more people.  I gained employment in other jobs, and made more and more friends.  Now I look back and remember telling myself that I was going to hate not knowing anyone, but I now have some of the greatest friends anyone could ask for.

In retrospect, moving away was hard at first, but it is not really that big of a deal.  Everyone is going to have to make a move at somepoint in their life.  Actually I am in the process of applying for jobs in the Florida area.  If, hopefully, I receive a job down there, I believe that move is going to be even more challenging.  But challenges are all a part of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment