Friday, March 30, 2012

This particular blog entry is more of a gripe session for me.  The topic that I have chosen is simply the question of why is college so expensive?  I mean, to go to a decent school for four years makes a regular person end up paying bills and student loans back over the course of several years even after they graduated.  And that is if they have chosen to get a degree in something that they do not change their minds about later on.

Take me for example.  I started out in the fall of 2011 at Lackawanna College because I wanted to pursue simply and associates degree in Criminal Justice because after graduating the police academy I was told that I would receive 21 credits towards it.  So I enrolled back into school and began taking the courses needed for the degree's completion.  Later on I decided that I wanted to do better than that and wanted to obtain a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice because now a days you can't get any full time law enforcement job without one.  So after researching credits and classes that are transferable from Lackawanna College to Keystone College, I enrolled in several of those courses, spending a substantial amount of financial aid and student loans in the process.  Now during mid semester I decided that I wanted to switch my degree program from Criminal Justice to Forensic Science.  So I began researching that program at Keystone College and came to find out that only two of all the classes that I have taken actually transfer to that particular degree program.  After finding that out all I could picture is myself throwing money into a paper shredder and realizing that the past year of my life has been a complete waste of time and money.

But really it is a catch 22.  In order to get a good job that pays a lot of money you have to get a college education.  But first you must pay a lot of money to get a college education in order to hopefully get that good paying job.  I guess it comes down to the old business saying of you have to spend money to make money.

No comments:

Post a Comment