Friday, March 2, 2012

The peer review is a very helpful process when writing a paper, especially if you are not an experienced writer. A strength of the peer review process is that you have another set of eyes going over a paper or an essay you have written.  In the writer's eyes, everything could look and sound extremely well put together.  But in the eyes of another person, there could be several mistakes that the original writer did not see, and the paper may be viewed to not be as well put together. A major weakness with the process of peer review is the fact that the second pair of eyes going over the paper is not going to be the teacher, it is a fellow student.  I have openly admitted that I am a horrible writer.  Papers and essays never have and never will be my strong point.  So who's to say that my peer who is reviewing my work isn't as inexperienced in writing as I am.  They may say that my work is outstanding, and then I hand it in without making any changes and I get a poor grade on the assignment.  This is never an excuse though because one thing I have learned thus far is that each and every person is responsible for his or her own work.

One thing that I did find beneficial about the peer review process is that it is like having a second person writing the paper along with you.  The second person could read it over and say to add something that the original writer may have not thought of.  Or they could say to take an idea that was written and explain how to take another idea and branch it off of that one.  I am not sure however if there was anything specific I would change about the entire peer review process because honestly this is the first time since probably middle school I had to do it, and that was what seems like a lifetime ago.  If it was a process that I have done more often, then it would give me a better outlook on it and to see what if anything I would change.

I was nervous when I started the pere review, honestly because I had a fear of giving someone the wrong advice that would decrease the grade of their essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment